Skip to main content

Get-set-Go



When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in between every evening class that she taught, I wanted to shrug her off. She cooked lettuce, I refused the meal. She insisted that she would oil my hair every week end, l thought I would never be independent. She left me alone for a week and I cribbed that she should have stocked the refrigerator better. She asked that I call every evening from hostel, I asked to be given some space. She didn’t leave breakfast on the table one day, I was irritated that she didn’t do what she usually did. She offered to find me a house, I found it intrusive. She worried over my health, it depressed me further. At every point, while I realised the foolishness of my past reactions, new actions and words antagonised me. I know that she sought to protect my childhood- but I yearned for freedom. She sought to nourish my body- I didn’t care. She sought to challenge my mind- I gave in to my ego. She sought to develop my skills- I perceived control. She sought to inculcate effectiveness- I shielded my thoughts. She made herself available- I rebelled with solitude. She packed in a week’s worth in a day- I chose to ignore her versatility. She aimed to make me worthy, I hope I get there someday! 

Now faced with imminent motherhood myself, I have choices and decisions to make.  For sure, most will totter down the path she chose herself. It's a break from a 'career'. By the looks of what i read in the papers everyday, I know I will be paranoid about my tot's company. For the amount of junk food lying around, I might just not let my child venture to any supermarket. I take pride in a great lineage- I only hope I don't impose it on my own. For a person for whom cooking 4 or 5 different meals a day (no more office canteen!) seems like a huge challenge now, raising a child with good manners, a pleasant demeanour and a cheerful personality seems herculean. But am I prepared to face the consequences of my decision or do I fear a similar barrage of reactions? Do I suspend my anxiety with the pacifying thought that realisation will dawn one day on my own tot as it did on me? While I now recognise the emotion behind every one of her actions, should I toughen myself to dispel similar beliefs? Generations will be different, will my mind be open to change? Will I ever GET prepared for every reaction, SET my expectations low and GO ahead with my decisions, head held high? 

At the risk of reiterating the cliche that has been forwarded a zillion times every Mother’s day, but what the hell! My mommy strongest :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say