Skip to main content

Look who's learning


The whole world of new mothers seem to be logged on to at least 4 of the zillion parenting websites and have bought at least 2 of the many parenting/baby milestone books. Not to say I ridicule any of them- I have done so myself. All of them proclaim "let your baby explore" - and they have me mighty confused for mine insists on exploring the dirtiest or the most dangerous of things/places... bathroom floors, the underside of a tap, the dustbin, the stove, plug points... and the same books proclaim "these things are normal". While I cannot confine her exploring and discovering to anything hygienic and safe, I can at least get her immune to chaat germs and loud music.

Destination 1: the beach
It was too dark to get her into the water but the bright red blinking horns and flying discus were good enough. Next time aound- molaga bajji and butta.

Destination 2: Art Gallery
(Art appreciation is closely linked to EQ)
 uhmmm...she fell asleep!

Destination 3: A2B on NH7
The chaat looked yum. The mango rice looked better. The fried rice smelled just right. Time to soil the diaper "Amma. eat later. Change my diaper now."

Destination 4: Madurai Meenakshi temple
(Our second attempt at art appreciation and of course divine grace)
Meenakshi wore a parrot green sari, decked in gold from her crown to her parrot, a glittering nose ring catching the light of the lamp as the Vadiyar offered her the holy camphor. Lamps lit her Garba griha and every devotee experienced such a divine peace emanating from the sanctum sanctorum.... Saharsra's fascination for the South Indian Belly (every vadiyar is blessed with one in any south indian temple) and the bright sari the aunty next to her wore remained the highlights for her!

Destination 5: Shopping arcade
A pedestal fan that is so powerful that the wind lifts her off her feet..what excitement!

Destination 6: Wedding
The Nadaswaram and the Tavil were deafening. Not to mention that "Kurai onrum Illai" and "Maalai mathinal" sounded pretty much the same. But who cares, the noise is so amusing. She even loved the not-so-clean Tavil cover. "Tavil mama, can I take this with me?!"

The book suggests that children learn a lot from different experiences. But is what she makes of it that teaches us a zillion new, cheerful things everyday.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe