Skip to main content

Bangalored

" How childhood seems to have changed such a great deal..." - I despised all these oldies who would say that to me when I was a kid.  And I always wanted to say "Well, you can go climb your tree, I'd rather just play in the park. You can go play hopscotch in the mud, I'd rather play on the driveway and not get mud in my shoes."

Sure childhood seems to be verrry different today but what amuses me is that the idea of being a "Bangalorean" has become such a misinterpreted, misunderstood thing in recent times.

Years ago, being a Bangalorean was to
- Go to Cubbon Park as a treat for being a good child over the last month. On the way out, if you behaved well on all the rides, you got a cone of ice-cream (vanilla only) as a bonus. Ice cream in cups were for days when parents ran out of patience to sit and wait till you finished the cone.

- Go to Lalbagh for the flower show on Republic Day- after watching the parade on TV of course. For those of us who didn't go to school for flag hoisting, dad bought us a toffee outside Lalbagh.

- Not know where your classmate was from. Everyone at school spoke in English (how Brit is that!). If you didn't know Kannada, your kannadiga friend probably knew your mother tongue and didn't really mind it :)

- Play and study with children from all kinds of families- families of doctors, engineers, shopkeepers, taxi drivers, businessmen, army officials, research scientists.......very rarely IT people.

- Eat Maddur Vada on the way to Mysore compulsorily.

- Either go to Nerd school or any of the other hep schools. Yes- there was only ONE Nerd school- and we took great offense to being called a nerd. We didn't think having a football field in school was cooler than having Math Club in a classroom. (And we were way more intelligent- hah).

- know that people in Karnataka spoke Kannada and not Kannad or Karnatak or whatever else they now say.

-Jayanagar and Basavangudi were the epitome of planned development. KR Puram was outside Bangalore and Whitefield was in the wilderness.

It didn't matter where you came from- you'd become a Bangalorean instantly.

And now...
11 out of 10 people ask me where I am from- I say " I am from Bangalore". Next question "So you are a Kannad?" I don't know what that means so I usually just give an awkward smile and say "I am Tamilian". "O endha Ooru"... What part of "I am from Bangalore" did this person not understand. "My parents grew up in ....." "O ok ok. Ya YOU look like a typical Bangalorean." I don't know what that means either. It's like we all have some feathery hat that they think is exclusively Bangalorean.

A friend in college once said- 'It's very difficult for an outsider to understand what being a Bangalorean is.' With more outsiders taking shelter in our lovely city and 'adding to the traffic and pollution' (you HAVE to say that if you are a Bangalorean- it's the IT that ruined our city :D), Bangalore isn't what it used to be, the average 'Bangalorean' is hard to find and its a pity that it's more important to know Hindi than Kannada (or English) to survive in Bangalore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe