Skip to main content

Happy Independance Day!

Come Independance Day and we love to come together and sing Vande Mataram and Jana Gana Mana. "We are ONE irrespective of caste,creed or religion or region etc etc etc."

But I sense that this is a time when we want to come together by getting rid of our identity as being a Hindu or a Muslim or a Christian.
Religion does not define me.

We want to rid ourselves of our identity as a Tamilian or Kannadiga or Bengali or Kashmiri.
It isn't region or language that defines my patriotism (Subramanya Bharathi: You should have written patriotic poetry in a language everyone understands!)

We definitely want to rid oursleves of our identity as a Dalit or Brahmin or Kshatriya or Baniya.
Caste is a complete No-No.

It does not matter that I am an engineer or doctor or lawyer or artiste or sculptor.
All professions recognise that August 15th is a holiday.

I may be a mother or father or grandmother or aunt or cousin.
It is "I" that matters. Not my identity in my family (no chocolates at flag hoisting for the diabetic grandma anyway).

We are so busy being patriotic by getting rid of everything that defines us the other 364 days of the year (OK barring Gandhi Jayanthi and Republic Day). I would rather celebrate that we are harmonious in sharing sevvaiyan on Id, playing with colours on Holi, waiting for that yummy Christmas cake your friend's mother bakes every year, the lassi from Bobby's Dhaba at the Gurudwara. Because in this celebration, we recognise and acknowledge everything that makes us what we are. It is in these moments that that we truly wish one another good. It is on these festive days that there is no pretension of being alike. Because we are not alike. If we can ever celebrate an Independance Day by coming together and celebrating our differences, when knowing and acknowledging our identities as varied as they may be is not frowned upon, when we are not embarrassed by our religion or caste or profession, then patriotism may not need to be a word that is relegated to civics text books and August 15th. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe