Skip to main content

Ask the Maami

'It takes 2 years to learn to talk and a lifetime to learn what not to talk'... or something like that! Thanks to all the 'share' and 'like' people do on facebook, quotable quotes are always readily available. First things first, we are still teaching her to talk. I am hoping the 'what-not-to-talk' bit comes only a few years later?!

And what is life without the quintessential maami giving running commentary!

Sahasra: 'Attthhhhaaaai'
Maami: Abbabbaa... athishtam! If baby says 'athai' first first, very lucky the child is being!
[Of course, Athai is the only one who lets her chew her finger]

Sahasra: 'ThaaaaThaaaaa'
Maami: O mama- she said Thatha- very happy you must be feeling!
Sahasra: 'Tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tha tah .....
[I don't think she has that many Thathas]

Sahasra: 'pheehpheepheeepheeee'
Maami: Abbabba...etho she is wanting to talk talk... Paavam so much drool!
[Ahem, I'm sorry but I think she's just fascinated by the trail her drool leaves behind!]

Sahana: This is my baby sistah. If you wave, she will also wave.
Sahasra: 'Akthaa'..
Sahana: See, I am her akka!
[It's always an adorable scene so the Maami's comments have been censored]

Sahasra: ' AAAAAAAAAAA'
Maami: Enna kural. You must teach her paatu ma... very good singer she will be.
[If you are not an 'athai', 'Thatha' or 'akka', please respond. My ear drums are going to tear]

Maami: Sahasra...Vaaaa
Sahasra: Vaa vaa vaa vaa vaa vaa vaa vaa vaa vaa
Maami: Acchucho..she's telling ME what to do!
[Maami, you have no idea how many people have failed miserably at trying to tell you what to do]

Me: Sahas say "Apppa"
Sahasra: 'Apppaa'
Me: Sahas say "Ammmaa"
Sahasra: 'Apppaa'
Just in case you were wondering why Daddy J is walking a little taller these days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Novice

The long journey of the growing belly has ended and whatta journey it has been. I always wondered why no one ever talks of labour to a pregnant woman (of course unless you derive sadistic pleasure out of explaining the gory details) but isn't it better to expect the worst and end up with something not as bad?! Or maybe not! After the many weeks that seemed to never end [Weeks 38 through 40 seemed to last longer than the previous 37] I realised that my vocal chords can make loud screechy noises even though I had promised hubby dear that I wouldn't screech. Any way I don't think he dared to remind me of my promise after I shouted at the unassuming nurse for telling me to turn from my right to left side [in my defense, even turning is quite painful]. After what seemed like many longggg hours of horrendous pain what I saw in the form of a baby was a milky white uhm baby and the only thing I could think of was...NO not "Oh! I am a mother" but "why is an Indian ba...

Raise you voices for some happiness!

Has it become so difficult to be happy? or even just optimistic? In the days following the O-so-talked-about "India's Daughter", we have been engulfed by a sense of rage- at the government, at the system, at patriarchy, at men, at some women and unfortunately at anyone who talks well of anything! I was chided yesterday for being cheerful. I am chided today for being optimistic. Mind you - I was taken in by the same rage - at the audacity of the defense lawyers, at their attitude that seemed to be not unique to criminals but rampant in our society. I shared the link to the leaked video on my facebook page, urging my friends to share it and take responsibility for being a part of the system that bred such criminals, a society that continued to breed the horribly chauvinistic attitude that women were dispensable. It made me angry and I made that very clear. And then I heard another side of the story as well- some said the real purpose of the documentary was to "put ...

Happy Doctors' Day!

 I just found out that yesterday was Doctors' day... I've grown up with a few doctors in the family, a few friends are now super duper doctors, and since I've also been ill every now and then, I've been treated by unrelated unknown doctors. So here is my 5 pointer check list for lay people like you and me: 1. The next time you whine about how long you have to wait outside the doctor's office, kindly- yes PLEASE please also make sure you whine while you wait in a long queue outside the box office. After all, both are a matter of life, health, happiness and death NO?! 2. The next time the doctor prescribes antibiotics "unnecessarily", please don't take them. When you go back after 3 days with a condition that's worse off, I love watching the doctor bang his/her head on the wall once you've left. 3. If the doctor said that bump on your head is boil, it most likely is- Oh wait it can't be that simple. Dr. Google says it's a malignan...