Skip to main content

Novice

The long journey of the growing belly has ended and whatta journey it has been. I always wondered why no one ever talks of labour to a pregnant woman (of course unless you derive sadistic pleasure out of explaining the gory details) but isn't it better to expect the worst and end up with something not as bad?! Or maybe not! After the many weeks that seemed to never end [Weeks 38 through 40 seemed to last longer than the previous 37] I realised that my vocal chords can make loud screechy noises even though I had promised hubby dear that I wouldn't screech. Any way I don't think he dared to remind me of my promise after I shouted at the unassuming nurse for telling me to turn from my right to left side [in my defense, even turning is quite painful]. After what seemed like many longggg hours of horrendous pain what I saw in the form of a baby was a milky white uhm baby and the only thing I could think of was...NO not "Oh! I am a mother" but "why is an Indian baby looking white-Aren't we coloured?!" But along came realisation that all those months of "I" had now become "we" :) As cute as the thought may be, I did miss being pregnant.

What do i miss about being pregnant?!
No one calls you FAT :) [although someone did tell me work must be treating me "very well" when i had 3 months to go! He had to be told very clearly that it was a baby and not the salary]
The extra pounds you are putting on could be the baby or the many tubs of full fat ice cream- You can never tell-Yaay!
Deep fried french fries get downed like a meal- its the craving ya!!! ;)
New clothes! [Don't even look at the clothes you wore last month- You can wear them when you are done making the baby]
There are 10 people in the room and 8 chairs- someone has got to get out of one chair to give it to you! [although you will never accept that the chair is a bit too narrow and uncomfortable for your growing hind!]
Your frank opinion is always a result of your mood swings! You are forgiven :)
The glow! [Thank you baby]
The lovely tresses [Enjoy it while it lasts]
Lounge bars treat you like a phenomenon [The orange juice will be extra virgin! F bar made sure there were no smokers for 2 tables on any side of my circumference]...

There are things you miss about being pregnant and then there are things that seem better now than during those many months of not recognising yourself in the mirror!
Miraculously your ankles seem THIN- you had even forgotten that your feet could look like this [but be warned not to venture looking at any other part of yourself- you are still quite humongous].
You don't choke over your own belly while you attempt to lie down.
You can twist around and switch off the nightlamp near your bed [without having to go through a 5 minute ordeal of turning to your side, resting the hand correctly for fear of spraining the wrist under your weight, using what seems like a 1000 calories to sit up, slowly put your feet down on the floor although you can't seem to see them and then walk over to the switch board and turn off the light- by which time you have to  visit the loo-so turn the light on again!]
People can hug you without having to use imaginary extension ropes.
Nausea will now only strike when you have a bad stomach!
You can dare to look at clothes that aren't from the maternity section [the size on the label might be a little depressing though].
You can wear pajamas when guests visit you [new mothers are expected to look dreary- so yay! don't bother getting dolled up]
Your memory isn't as bad anymore [ you can remember exactly where the hand sanitiser is everytime a visitor asks for it] ...

For the few things that I miss about the baby-making months, I much prefer my days as a novice now trying to understand crying from wailing from sobbing. It won't be long before I fall under 'fat' category and not 'O such a cute belly' category. Dark circles around my eyes will be reality soon and backache might become an everyday affair. All the while that toothless grin making it completely worth the while.. The adventure has just begun for us and I know that for the rest of my life, everyday will have nothing routine about it. Looking forward to riding the roller-coaster. Welcome Sahasra!


Comments

  1. I read this again and i can relate to it point by point.... the advantages of being pregnant :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe