Skip to main content

Babies and FAQs

"Girl aa?" very good very good! Goddess Lakshmi has entered your home pa..very good very good. Congratulations. Fair only no?! Of course she will be fair only. If she takes after S patti and M thatha, she can be fair only no!Who does she look like? Wait... She has hair on the head no?! Lots or less? It's ok if it's little less now..After the Pazhani mottai it will come... then she can have long thick hair- lovely braid it can be! o Again, who does she look like? O like both of you?But who does she look like more? Tell Tell.. Don't be diplomatic pa..ok anyway I will come and see her.. Of course babies keep changing. Now they will look like the mother, then they will look like the father, then after few years, they may look like grandfather or grandmother's cousin. What to say- it is all ever changing! Ha ha ha.... Anyway pa..all the best to you now. You have become a father and now you have added responsibility!Ha ha..very good very good! Hmm...It is girl also- that means she will make you spend more and more..Ha ha... good good! Seri pa. All the best. Tell my wishes and congratulations to the mother as well. She must rest now. Of course once the baby comes, no rest for anyone. Ha ha.. At least now it's ok- for the first 3 months, they won't move or anything then you can do this and that but once they crawl and all, it is just too difficult. But anyway good good, girl baby in the house is always nice.. Baby's crying noise itself is like music pa. My grandmother used to say that. You will soon realise how true it is. Enjoy parenting pa! Very nice very nice! By the way it was normal only no?! ok ok good good. Then it is easy to recover also. Good Good. Ok pa. Take care. Congratulations again!

"Enna ma? Boy aa Girl aa? Girl aa? Very nice. Next you can have a boy! Ha ha. just joking. Don't get angry. Normal aa? good good. What is the weight ma? ok ok. now it is your duty to make her nice and plump. Who does she look like? Big eyes or small eyes? ok ok. She is colour? Not that little dusky means not good. Ha ha. But fair means nice only no. She is fair like you or more fair? ok ok. She looks like you? or the father? But baby will be cute only no whether she looks like you or the father. Ha ha. Cute and plump only we want. She has hair? lots? o ok ok. In our family all of you hardly had any when you were born. It's ok. I will send the oil that I have made. If you put it on her head every week, it will be nice and black and will become thick also when she grows up. Ok ok. So you must take good care of yourself now. You should eat healthy food so that baby also becomes healthy. Don't eat out too much- you can never say what oil they use in all their cooking. You should eat lots of garlic also. Don't think Aiyo so much advice, I am saying for your good only. Anyway nowadays all of you know so much already from computer and internet and all those things but still we all have experience no ma... anyway ok ok. I won't advice more. Be careful when you lift her- her head will not be steady no. Then you should also make sure your hair is not falling too much. They say that the baby looks at you face and smiles, then all the hair will start falling. Anyway nice nice little baby in the house is lovely only. Congratulations. Take care ma.

It's no wonder that we decided our answers to the 3 FAQs well before she was born.:
IS she fair?- Yes she is.
Who does she look like? Like both of us.
Does she have hair on the head? Yes yes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe