Skip to main content

Andha Maan

We almost didn't go. But thankfully Passport Seva Kendra asked for a little too many things to get our complicated passport issue resolved. So there we were, Chennai bound; to go on to Paradise.

Kala Paani, Sirai Chaalai, History text books- I vaguely remembered the gory history of Cellular Jail. It was far worse in real. The Hanging, the pits to collect dead bodies, the sadistic punishments... If you pooped more than a tiny earthen pot could take, you'd have to make more oil than you did everyday (which was an unreasonable 15 kilos). If you wanted more than 2 glasses of water (yes- the daily quota of water), go lick the Jamaadar's shoes dry. If you thought that all this made the freedom fighters stronger in will- get an Indian to torture another Indian, feed him food in an iron bowl- the rust will kill him anyway.

We live in a time when many friends, even relatives are of different nationalities- British, Japanese, etc etc. After all these years, it seems ridiculous to gather any hatred toward any particular country or people for our unfortunate history, but God, does Cellular Jail make you wrench. And just when I was lost in this ridiculous parallel thought, our guide pointed out- "Madam, you think the British were Evil? Today our politicians have taken over. Physical torture then, corruption now." With election fever everywhere, I had to agree. I guess we as a people can't live without being harassed!

When you are in Andaman, it's the Ocean that takes over your mind, brain,body , everything- even guilt ridden thoughts of how we have given up on millions of freedom fighters. Clear water, schools of fish tickling your feet, white sand, live sea shells, corals everywhere! If these blue-green waters can't draw you in, no magic in this world will. (Trust me- they even had the power to attract my water-phobic dad in- ankle deep-but still). And I have never before seen so many living sea shell animals. Snorkeling or scuba diving, if you please, or just float away on this beauty.

Ross Island reminds you of how man loves to tame everything around him. Coconut trees in well-planned, neatly aligned rows, remnants of a water distillery, a church, a tennis court- The Brits found a way around their biggest worries- mosquitoes and water contamination- and lived a royal life at that. Ross Island saved the rest of the Andaman Islands when the Tsunami struck. Our guide insisted that she was washed away by the BIG Wave and ended up near cellular Jail from where she was rescued! When you are in Andaman, the ocean makes you want to believe every story around it!

Checklist:
Puchkas, rasagollas and samosas- done.(It's a Bengali settlement as well).
Shell earrings, jewelry- done.
Jetski- done.
Make Baby S wear new swimsuit- done.
Sleep on a swing on the beach- done.
Watch Sunrise and sunset (just toooooo early- 4.45 AM, 5.10 PM)- done.
Family photo- done.
Have Fun- done.
Last minute shopping just to get Dad tensed about missing our flight- done.

The Ocean, great food, lots of fun, celebration, family! The Icing? As the chef at Havelock mentioned, "Yeh GAon Hai MAdam. Yahaan 3 cheez nahin milta- geyser, cellphone signal aur working credit card machine." (This is a Village MAdam. 3 things you will not find here- Hot water to shower, cell phone signal, a working credit card machine). No one can ask for more!

And if you're wondering why the title says Andha Maan-it was Daddy J's favorite Kadi joke the whole trip- Andaman= That deer=Andha maan.:~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe