Skip to main content

Baby goes to School

It's School Time. It started with...

"Hah! My granddaughter is so smart- she should go straight to Kindergarten- why are you putting her in Playgroup and Nursery and God-knows-what-else!"
Ya Sure Mom, May be I'll just ask the school if she can directly go to say Std 1?

And then came activist friends "What are your views about home schooling- Children will remain un-corrupted by the System."
Sure- Home schooling is fine with me- If it's YOUR home she can school in.

And then that  Aunty "So are you going to send her on the school bus-It'll be convenient. But did you hear about that recent incident in XYZ Nagar about that ....God....I don't know what kind of animals become school bus drivers. Nowadays you can't trust anyone. I heard from someone else that some...."
OK No school bus then!

And Daddy J "My poor baby is going to school- how can she stay for 3 hours? It's not fair to such a small baby. She'll cry no? I'll do one thing- I'll take off from work for a week and then work from home for another week just in case."
Uhm...Ok... But it's not the Army you know!

And I had my own plans:
1. So she's off at 8...I could go to the Gym
2. I could read more
3. I could dance some more
4.I could write some more
5. I can actually finish those 3 publications from last year
6. I can go shopping on my own
7. I could study maybe...
8. Ok..this is mean...I shouldn't make all these plans when my baby might be tired and sleepy and hungry in school...
9. What the hell...3 hours IS a lot of time for MEEE :D ... I can clean that bookshelf
10. Ok don't be so mean...

And then a fellow mother-of-toddler"Hey let's go for a nice fancy brunch before these kids get back from school"
So I wasn't the only one making plans.phew!

11. I could start those morning batches people have been asking for..
12. Hmm... What else....

It's been 5 days...and the only thing I seem to be doing with my 3 HOURS is waste it on Facebook and Youtube!



Comments

  1. Hahaha..... I wonder when will I have this privilege! ! (Does that make me super mean!:))

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe