Skip to main content

Raise you voices for some happiness!

Has it become so difficult to be happy? or even just optimistic?
In the days following the O-so-talked-about "India's Daughter", we have been engulfed by a sense of rage- at the government, at the system, at patriarchy, at men, at some women and unfortunately at anyone who talks well of anything!

I was chided yesterday for being cheerful. I am chided today for being optimistic. Mind you - I was taken in by the same rage - at the audacity of the defense lawyers, at their attitude that seemed to be not unique to criminals but rampant in our society. I shared the link to the leaked video on my facebook page, urging my friends to share it and take responsibility for being a part of the system that bred such criminals, a society that continued to breed the horribly chauvinistic attitude that women were dispensable. It made me angry and I made that very clear. And then I heard another side of the story as well- some said the real purpose of the documentary was to "put India in her place" and had nothing to do with the Nirbhaya case at all. The docu producers used money to get a sensational film out... and so on. I was not sure what to trust anymore. I know that not everything you hear in the media is true! And also that there are several stories that never make news! And I was if anything, confused, about what to believe and what not to.

But slowly One thing dawned on me -we were all up in arms but there was no good that was coming off it. I had been party to spreading this rage but had done little else to make things better. I went back to my facebook page and deleted the link.

And then came the arms-going-up about beef. And something else and something else and something else. While I believe that the paranoia that this 'Hindu' Government is going to come down on everyone who is not Hindu is ridiculous, a large section of educated Indians, irrespective of religious belief (or the lack of it) are giving in to the paranoia. And together with this paranoia has come a sense of disappointment and dejection and pessimism that things will never look up! And this political stand has engulfed all things in life- social, personal or casual. Why do we not see beyond it.

It does not matter anymore that for each person that commits a crime, there are 100 others that inspire and motivate us. Should it not matter more that there is a hawker in Delhi who earns 20 rs everyday and lives life king-size? Should it not matter that there are women from Kolkatta scaling the heights of Mount Everest despite being handicapped? Should it not matter to us that in peak hour traffic, the cops, the city of Chennai and its people made it possible for a donor heart to reach a patient in record time? Are you not left inspired when young girls from rural Karnataka are being educated to lead dignified self sufficient lives (have you seen the pride in their eyes?). Should it not matter that no matter how much it rains and pours and floods, people in Mumbai get to work on time? Does it not affect you that the villages in North east India are among the cleanest and friendliest in the world? Should it not matter that in every corner of our country there are people succeeding in life, living life with dignity and inspiring those around them? One man made sanitary napkins that were cheaper than rags. A transvestite has been teaching young kids of prostitutes in a school she built! The garbage dump near my school has been transformed into a parking lot.

In our angry attempt to 'raise our voices against injustice' many of us have lost the capability to comprehend. We want to scream before we can listen. We want to pass judgement before we can see. I agree that one cannot turn a blind eye to the problems around us, but let us also open our eyes to all the wonderful things. Look around you and I assure you that you will find cheer. And from this cheer will come energy to smile and in turn make another person (or animal or plant!) smile.

Take a moment to look at the laughter in the eyes of a child on a swing and chose to look away from someone cribbing. It will make a world of a difference- and the world WILL be a better place. No one got anywhere being a cynic; dance to a happy song or skip in the park down the lane, sing your favorite song or call a friend. It is in all these little things that the Universe teaches us to be grateful for our beautiful life.  Teach your kids to be humble and grateful. They will not abuse. Teach them art. They will ascend beyond just being frustrated at the system. Teach them kalari or karate if there's a bully around- they won't get bullied because they can kick ass but because they will shrug the bully off with as little as a sharp gaze. Teach them to play with kids unlike them. They will embrace difference. Teach them to share their toys. They will spread happiness.

I cannot turn the clock backward, but there is a way forward- a long road of hope, happiness and laughter. It's easy to be happy and optimistic!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe