Skip to main content

Selfie at Elliot's

Growing up in Bangalore, we would often joke that the only thing missing in Bangalore was the beach! But we would quickly dismiss our fancies thinking that the sea shore would ruin our enviable weather: those were the days when we didn't know that all you needed was the land mafia and lots of concrete to destroy the weather (amongst several other Bangalore niceties). 

In any case, I married a die-hard Chennai-ite this day 7 years ago and found myself in a life-long tutorial on 'going to the beach'. Over the years I have been treated to molaga bajji and appalam, the stomach churning merry-go-round, the scarily PINK candy, the kadalai fellow who always has a prominent role in every beach scene in every tamil movie and serial, the helicopter toy that will stop working the minute you have brought it home, the blinking devil horns that are quite eerie, the 'vetti' catch ups that happen at the beach..... the latest addition being the spring potato! The one thing that has been a constant for me though with every visit is to see such a wide variety of people at ONE place: a far second would be Cubbon Park 25 years ago.

Two Saturdays ago we treated ourselves to an evening at the Elliots. As Daddy J and Baby S rushed into the waves, I stood guard to their chappals... And looked around me at what could have easily been the most gratifying sight! Ask Why? No. Ask me What!

The Candy Man
Of course the kadalai guy selling hot hot peanuts (in spite of being a peanut enemy, I am often tempted to but one at the beach just to know what the hero and heroine in every movie buy it for)
The ponies and horses - some running, some strolling, some refusing to budge.
A group of kids playing running and catching.
20 college boys and girls drenched to the skin, standing in a large circle at the edge of the lashing waves. Boys, hormones racing, excited to be holding hands with girls they've probably barely spoken to, giggling and trying to still look 'cool'. Girls, well aware of the 'cool' boys and stealing glances at others to check if this cool group is being looked at.
The 18 year old girl from a conservative family who has stepped on to beach sand for the first time. Extremely conscious of her 'beach clothes', constantly tugging at the ends of her T-shirt to pull it to a comfortable length (but the stubborn T-shirt rides up anyway). The ends of her pants are wet and she probably didn't realise that the 'nice' sandals she wore weren't going to hold with all the water and mud washing over it.
Young lovers who have escaped the glaring eyes of parents or guardians, sitting so close that you couldn't pass a thread between them.
Young newly married couples. Wife wearing her new salwar-kameez, jasmine in the hair and the thread of the thali still a bright yellow. Husband, the protector, guides her through the crowd, warding off annoying pori and candy fellows, blocking off oggling eyes, offering to buy Amul Ice-cream: Try this flavour. It will be good. Proud that he has introduced his new bride to the sea.
The NRI family speaking tamil with an American accent. Their kids walking around with bottled water, their Chennai cousins amused at their inability to walk 10 steps without asking inane questions on cleanliness. The grandparents, excited and worried at once- 'breathe this air in- this is India!' alternating with 'These kids have no immunity. I hope they don't start howling with stomach pain in the night.'
The flustered head of family- the sweating man who is irritated with the antics of 3 kids, shouting over to his wife to hurry up and constantly keeping an eye on the setting sun.'It's time to go home now. Enough Enough. Let's go. Can't you hear me?! Let's go. Enough of the beach. I have to wade through too much traffic if we leave 10 minutes late. Hurry up.' And the kids are deaf to him anyway.
A young girl being prodded to enter the water, shrieking in exaggerated fright and running away only to be finally thrown into the water by her ever-caring friends.
The volley-ball match.
Dogs.
Families sitiing down for a picnic- floor mats, packed food, juice and a frisbee.
60 year old pot-bellied uncle sauntering on the beach in running shoes, laughing on the phone- the kind who will probably go home in half an hour and insist that he had a good run- phew, so tired!
And the most common kind: The Selfie people- kids, high school girls making sure their hair isn't frizzed up by the wind, boys with raised eyebrows and graphic T-shirts, newly married couples pouting into the phone and then continuing their  discussion on who that red-saree mami at the wedding said about the groom's cousin, the instagram lovers, the loner trying to impress online friends with a timely click of the giant wave. 

Now ask me Why this is gratifying. Because, this crazy spectrum of people and animals makes you smile. Smile for all that life has to offer, smile for what you have picked in life and smile for being able enjoy that slowly rising tide that catches you unawares, wetting your rolled up denims. 

No selfie for me. My hair is too frizzy and I have to guard those chappals! But next time and every time that follows, I will add more to my 'beach diaries'. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of travel rants and toddlers!

Someone once asked me if I liked travelling... And after a lot of deliberation I said.."Well, I like being at all kinds of different places but if I have to take a 36 hour train or a sweaty 8 hour bus drive, I'm not sure I'd like that bit." I'm sure the person thought he was having the most inane conversation with the most spoilt brat around! Being a dancer predisposes you to all kinds of travel- luxurious ones, budget ones, in-between-luxury and budget-ones. You also get to live like that- budget hotels, luxury hotels, 1 star to 5 star (OK very rarely 5 star unless I book myself into one!). I once lived in a 'guest house' in Raipur where there was no running water in the bathroom, food was served in sticky plates and the table was cleaned with a cloth that could send a rat running to the ENT. A week back, re-visiting the holy temples of Shiva in the Tanjore belt, I realised how things had changed, yet some things don't ever change do they! The la

Full-time madness

Two days back I was at a conclave of dancers, and some one asked me- "So you're full-time dancing aa?" And I wasn't sure what to say to that. And my reply like it is almost all the time was "Uhm...well....you know.. I dance yes...but I have a one and half year old daughter so...and I also do some medical writing...so you know" And my audience is always bewildered. "So transcriptions aa?" [And as bad as it sounds I take offense to being associated with that line of 'writing' so] my quick retort is always "NOO...I write for research- you know journal papers [ 'regulatory documents' will be quite lost on most people who ask me these questions]... In any case, I've been thinking a bit about what qualifies as full time, part time, hardly any time, time etc etc.. So, I don't have an office to go to in the morning. No 9 to 5 job or 9 to 8 job like most 'working women'. So I'm apparently not qualified to say

Get-set-Go

When I was a toddler, her word was the ultimate truth. Dad didn’t know Math, Bro didn’t know sport, Uncle didn’t know medicine, Aunt didn’t know music, Granny didn’t know Tamil... She was all-knowing and her affirmation alone stood my test of truth. Until she started using the word “NO” and a few other similar phrases and words. She said I couldn’t stay back late after school, I thought she didn’t trust me enough. She wanted to know more about my friends, I called her nosy. She asked me to be up at 6 am for Badminton practice, I thought she was evil and torturous. She asked why I  didn’t finish first in class, I told her she was pressurising me. She asked me to practice my steps a little longer, I vetoed. She forbade select company and I vented at her controlling nature. She asked to pity the rude, I called her naive. She advised to ignore cynics, I told her off. She was always home when I got back from school, I was sad that she didn’t have a cool career. She checked on us in betwe